Earlier this year we completed a huge side extension in Riseley, a really enjoyable project and which resulted in a very happy customer.
Fundamentally, the client has almost doubled the size of his house! There was a hell of a lot of work done, so much that the client probably underestimated what was involved. The original budget was exceeded, but the job grew as we went along. However, what the client is left with appears to be what they were looking for, and they’re really happy.
They’ve had a huge new lounge, a downstairs cloakroom addition, a new kitchen layout – with a wall removed – and a huge upstairs master bedroom with bathroom. There’s also an entrance at the rear of the house. All of these things have absolutely transformed the property for the better. They’ve had new windows throughout which also makes it look clean and tidy, too.
The extension was around 4.8m x 7.8m on the side, with a first floor bit that extended around to the existing front entrance and which now incorporates a hallway and toilet. We think it’s really nice to look at, with a load of brilliant features. However, it’s the perfect example of finding things you can never predict when quoting (we’re good, but we can’t see through floors!). For example, inside, we had to do a lot of remedial work, like ripping up floors, which was a result of a one-pipe central heating system. This has now been replaced with a two-pipe system. A one-pipe systems means that all the radiators need to be perfectly balanced for them to work, where as a two-pipe system which basically means you can create a different temperature in each room. Stuff like this means the job is constantly changing, but we always try and keep the costs down where we can.
The job went pretty smoothly throughout and, as is often the case, the most difficult element of these jobs is for the client when they have to move out while we work. Now, though, the clients are very happy; the brickwork is clean and the rendering looks lovely – we’re proud of it. One of our favourite elements is a bullseye window, which is a really nice feature for the bedroom. The plasterer has done an amazing job of the plastering, it looks perfect.
We’ve also cleaned up other areas that looked quite rough. For example, in their bathroom, there were parts of the wall that were falling apart. Rather than patch it up, we’ve over boarded it and used Bond It, which seals it all together, while the over boarding creates a perfect finish. Its little touches like that that we feel gives us the edge on our competitors.